St. Leonhard's Church Murau
Built in the first third of the 15th century, the church is a Gothic building of yellow tuff that was designed based on St. Leonhard's Church in Tamsweg, complete with all the finer details of architecture and workmanship. As far back as 1439, the church erected on the site of the former castle chapel of St. Catherine was known as a church of pilgrimage.
Inside the church, the round keystones of the rib vaulting display vegetal ornamentation; the keystone in the choir termination displays the head of St. Leonhard; the one in the nave's western bay displays the master's initials.
The exterior of St. Leonhard's Church was renovated in 1994-1995, with the interior following in 2001, supported by major financial assistance from the parish of Murau.
Church tours 2019
- 9 July
- 6 August
- 3 September
Each at 10 am.
Meet outside the church. Voluntary donations!